Ulalena at the Maui Theatre in Lahaina is a 'must-see' show that defies description - Inside Luau? Theatrical Show? Musical?
Ulalena is not a luau, but it is...
• an entertaining show of Hawaiian history
• equally enjoyed by adults and children
• popular with luau attendees
• inside, weather protected theater seating
Ulalena has many elements of a Cirque du Soleil style show. If you want to attend an outside luau that includes a Cirque du Soleil style show, try the Grand Wailea Luau.
Ulalena is an ancient Hawaiian word for a twilight wind and rain that occurs in Maui myth.
The show combines ancient Hawaiian cultural stories with lots of movement and action, such as dancing, with sounds and rythm, such as percussion and drums.
The performance progresses through nine scenes - each one stimulating our senses in a different way - some quiet and mystical, and others loud and fast.
Even though we often didn't follow the storyline (we found the story to be pretty abstract to absorb during the show), we enjoyed the graceful movement and music for every scene.
Ulalena does not allow pictures during the show, but the sixty second video at the bottom of this page will immediately impact you with the beautiful action and rhythmic music of the show.
The staff and cast were very personable the entire evening - the Maui theatre experience is intimate and much less 'touristy' than a lot of Maui.
Visit my Ulalena Tickets page for ticket pricing.
Seats are reserved, and you can choose between standard and premium seating.
If you want to add to your evening -
• We chose the VIP ticket option, so that we could stay after the show while some of the cast remained on stage to answer questions and mingle with the audience.
• The Dinner package includes dinner at Lahaina restaurants like Lahaina Grill, Lahaina Prime Rib and Fish Company, David Paul's Island Grill, and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.
The Ulalena schedule varies by season, but it is generally scheduled the five weeknights - Monday through Friday.
The Ulalena show is held at the Maui Theatre at 878 Front Street at the north end of Lahaina.
Ulalena Location in Lahaina
This is an inside theatre show at the Maui Myth and Magic Theatre in Lahaina.
We enjoyed the plush theater chairs, air conditioning, surround sound system, and no high winds or rain (like we sometimes have at luaus).